About UniversitiSains Malaysia (USM)
UniversitiSains Malaysia (USM) is established as the second university in the country in 1969. USM was first known as UniversitiPulau Pinang. In 1971, USM moved from its temporary premises at the Malayan Teachers’ Training College, Bukit Gelugor to the present 416.6 hectare site at Minden, approximately 9.7 km from Georgetown.
USM offers courses ranging from Natural Sciences, Applied Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences to Building Science and Technology, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Education. These are available at undergraduate and postgraduate levels to approximately 30,000 students at its 17 Academic Schools on the main campus in the island of Penang; 6 Schools at the Engineering Campus in NibongTebal (approximately 50km from the main campus); and 3 at the Health Campus in KubangKerian, Kelantan (approximately 300km from the main campus).
As of June, 2018, we have 9,968 total number of staff (include the Hospital UniversitiSainsMalaysia). Out of this total number, 2,052 are the Academic staff. Furthermore, we have the total 28,565 students with 20,612undergraduates and 7,953 postgraduate students. The total number of international students combined in USM is 1,760 students from 64 countries.
USM also has 17 dedicated research centres for a wide range of specialisations which include archaeology, medicine and dentistry, molecular medicine, science and technology, Islamic development and management studies, and policy research and international studies. It also provides consultancy, testing, and advisory services to the industry under the ambit of USAINS Holdings SdnBhd, the University’s commercial arm.
Since the beginning, USM has adopted the School system rather than the traditional Faculty system to ensure that its students are multi-disciplined from their exposure to other areas of study by other Schools. We have currently have 26 schools, 13 centre of excellence, 2 higher education centre of excellence and 1 hospital in USM (HUSM).
As a Research Intensive University recognised by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE) in 2007, USM offers educational and research opportunities to students and staff. In 2008, USM also became the first university in the country to be selected by the Malaysian government to participate in the Accelerated Programme for Excellence (APEX), a fast-track programme that helps tertiary institutions achieve world-class status.
Vision & Mission:
"Transforming Higher Education for a Sustainable Tomorrow"
USM is a pioneering, transdisciplinary research intensive university that empowers future talents and enables the bottom billions to transform their socio-economic well-being.
Quality, Equality, Availability, Accessibility, Affordability, Appropriateness
Knowledge, The Future, Uniqueness, Sustainability, Humanity, Universality, Change, Sacrifice, Wellness
USM offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that are conducted by the following Schools:
1. School of Arts
2. School of Biological Sciences
3. School of Communication
4. School of Chemical Sciences
5. School of Computer Sciences
6. School of Distance Education
7. School of Educational Studies
8. School of Housing, Building and Planning
9. School of Humanities
10. School of Industrial Technology
11. School of Management
12. School of Mathematical Sciences
13. School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
14. School of Physics
15. School of Social Sciences
1. School of Civil Engineering
2. School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
3. School of Aerospace Engineering
4. School of Chemical Engineering
5. School of Mechanical Engineering
6. School of Materials & Mineral Resources Engineering
1. School of Dental Sciences
2. School of Health Sciences
3. School of Medical Sciences
The list of Research Centres, Centres of Excellence(CoE) and Higher Education Centre of Excellence (HiCoE) at USM are listed as follows:
Centre of Excellence (CoE)
1. Collaborative Microelectronic Design Excellence Centre (CEDEC)
2. Centre for Islamic Development Management Studies (ISDEV)
3. Centre of Chemical Biology
4. Centre for Global Sustainability Studies (CGSS)
5. Centre for Policy Research and International Studies (CenPRIS)
6. National Advanced IPv6 Centre (NAv6)
7. National Higher Education Research Institute
8. Centre for Global Archaeological Research
9. Centre for Instructional Technology and Multimedia
10. Centre for Marine & Coastal Studies (CEMACS)
11. Centre for Research on Women and Gender (KANITA)
12. Institute of Nano Optoelectronics Research and Technology (INOR)
13. Advanced Medical & Dental Institute (AMDI)
Higher Education Centre of Excellence (HiCoE)
1. Institute of Research in Molecular Medicine (INFORMM)
2. River Engineering and Urban Drainage Research Centre (REDAC)
3. Centre for Drug Research
1. Five QS STARS Rated for Excellence in 2016
2. USM is ranked #264 in the QS World University Rankings 2017/2018 and is among the top 1% Universities in the World.
3. Ranked # 51 in Asia and #33 for University under 50 years old.
4. USM is ranked #205 for the Academic Reputation.
5. In the 2017 QS World University Ranking by subjects, USM has four subjects in the top 50. There are: Hospitality & Leisure Management (32nd), Mineral & mining (35th), Chemical Engineering (38th) and Environmental Sciences (49th).
6. Our outstanding research achievements include
(a) 32 scientists from USM are listed in the Top Research Scientist Malaysia by AkademiSains Malaysia (ASM) - http://www.mytopscientists.org/v2/default.aspx
(b) 10 scientists were mentioned in The Rising Star by Thomson Reuters (2015-2016)
(c) 3 scientists were awarded the Most Cited Researchers by Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)- 2016
(d) 3 scientists were awarded The World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds by Thomson Reuters (2014-2015)
USM Vice Chancellor’s Office